Milestones Reached: Fiscal Year 2011-12
In a year of transition, Brown's alumni, parents, friends, faculty, students, and staff gave at record levels to support the University’s mission. The gifts will enable our students and faculty to continue their path-breaking scholarship and will lay a strong foundation for newly installed President Christina H. Paxson.
Fiscal year 2011-2012 results:
- New gifts and pledges totaled $187.51 million, a 12.7% increase over fiscal year 2011 and the highest fiscal year-end close since 2008. Among these totals were 25 gifts of $1 million or more and four gifts of $10 million or more—a record not achieved in any one fiscal year of the Boldly Brown campaign.
- Total comprehensive cash to Brown exceeded $178.86 million, a 9.4% increase in dollars over fiscal year 2011. These results outpaced the seven-year average of $166 million raised in cash during the Campaign for Academic Enrichment.
Annual Funds Set Records
All three Brown University annual funds also surpassed their goals:
- The Brown Annual Fund achieved a new University record both in dollars and donors with $36.6 million given by 34,350 donors—a 3.2% increase in dollars and an 8% increase in donors over FY’11. As a result, the Brown Annual Fund also earned two Corporation challenges offered in honor of the eleven years of exemplary leadership of President Ruth J. Simmons—The Million Dollar Milestone: A Record for Ruth and The President’s Circle Challenge. Additionally, the Alumni of Color Initiative (AOCI) reached the fundraising levels required to establish the final three (of its original six) endowment priorities.
- The Brown Sports Foundation (BUSF) raised an overall total of $9.69 million from 5,862 donors. These results include $3.37 million in annual-use support—an increase of 2.3% in dollars and 6.7% in donors over last year.
- The Warren Alpert Medical School Fund reported a record-setting $1,093,371 from 1,786 donors—an increase of 15.3% in dollars and 4.3% in donors from FY’11.
The generous gifts from alumni, parents, friends, students, and staff will benefit our outstanding faculty, our talented students, our dedicated leadership, and the enduring mission of Brown for many years to come.